Coming Soon! Shop!

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Learning to write well...by reading

I have been stumbling along writing the best that I can. I've purchased quite a few books on writing. They line the bookshelf next to my bed right next to the unread novels that arrive in the mail. 

I have taken a course in writing at UCLA extention online, I have attended RWA conferences and workshops, I enrolled in several workshop via savvyauthors.com. I still haven't been able to "get it."

Recently I began participating in an online critique group. I received some wonderful feedback and realized that I have much more work to do. It's not just about the grammar. It's not just about the punctuation. It's not even just about the story. It's really about how you put it all together.

There are so many elements to a story. I want someone to just spell it out. First, do this. Then do this, then introduce this. I became very frustrated with the saavyauthors.com workshop on writing romantic suspense because the first assignment was to take apart a suspenseful story that we enjoyed chapter by chapter. I hate homework and I told the teacher that. I didn't do the homework but I read the lessons.

A few weeks later, I read a fantastic story from The Wild Roses Press and there it was. All the elements of a FANTASTIC romantic suspense. The elements were spelled out right there for me.

I haven't had a chance to go back and deconstruct the story but it is there when I get ready to. I've heard  these messages several times at RWA workshops, read what you like, read what the publishers that you are interested in are buying and selling,  read what the agents you are querying are selling and representing. 

Initially, I thought that it was just a way of trying to sell more books (it probably is) but it is also a perfect lesson on writing if you do the homework and deconstruct the story.

So there you go. I will continue to purchase and read stories from the lines that I am targeting because they will help me become a better writer and eventually become published. I learn the most from reading good well written stories.

Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment